Skip to main content

Faith and Doctor Who!

"If the Doctor is still the Doctor... he will have my back.” - Clara Oswald, Doctor's Who Companion, Doctor Who, Deep Breath, Series 8, Episode 1, 08/23/2014 BBC America


Most people should be aware by now that I am a geek.  I freely admit it.  I can't hide it.  I have been one since my childhood and now that I am in my 50's, I finally feel like I don't have to hide it.  Not that I ever did.  Although there have been times when, as a Christian and Pastor, some might have wished that I had.  More than once, I have had to answer the questions: How can you watch that garbage?  Doesn't many of the themes and images of these types of shows upset you? Doesn't that stuff hurt your faith?

I usually change the subject when these questions come up because I doubt that the one asking the questions truly cares to hear my answer.  They have already judged me by how they judge these shows.  It is the old guilty by association trap.

Somewhere along the way, I learned to see the best in most things including people.  I am inclined to trust what people tell me and to take them at their word.  And when I watch a TV show, attend a movie, or listen to an album, I seldom see the things that others often critique. Perhaps it is as simple as "Judge not less ye be judged".

When others are looking for things to pick-a-part or to complain about, I am usually look for God in it.  I have learned that one can see God and learn Godly things from anything, even those things that appear to be agnostic in form, style, and/or content.

Here is the most recent example of what I am talking about.  The most recent addition to my geek-dom is the premiere of the latest edition of Doctor Who, complete with a new Doctor.  The episode, called Deep Breath, finds the Doctor's long time companion, Clara Oswald, trying to deal with the new face and personality that has replaced the person she had learned to trust and even was willing to die for.

As the two of them find themselves in the lair of the episodes bad guy, the leader of a group of Clockwork Robots made from human parts, the Doctor and Clara are separated.  In fact it appears that the Doctor has abandoned Clara and left her to face death at the hands of the villains. As Clara fights a war of words with the leader of the robots, scared to tears at the terror that is threatening her, she reaches her hand back behind her and says,"If the Doctor is still the Doctor... he will have my back.” She push her hand back farther and says a prayer, "please, please be there."  Her prayer is answered as the Doctor takes her hand and reveals that he was in the room all the time, disguised as one of the human robots. Answering Clara's prayer.

As I watched that scene, I wondered about what we put our faith in.  When we are facing disaster who is it that we reach back for.  Who is it that we are counting on to always have our back.  Is it a person like a pastor?  Is it a group of people like the members and friends of your church or your family?  Is it a best friend, a spouse, or significant other?  Who or what do you put your trust in?  Who are you reaching your hand back hoping to find there to support and rescue you?  In the Science Fiction world of Doctor Who, the Doctor is the one Clara has put her trust in, especially when she is alone facing the "Big Bad" of the episode.  Clara's faith in the Doctor is the kind of faith we are to have in our savior.  Who else can we truly count on when we face our "Big Bad" all alone?

So as I watched and thought about this SciFi TV show that has nothing to do with church, or God, or faith; I find within it a lesson about having faith in God. 

God is everywhere; in everything; and everyone.  All you have to do is have eyes to see, ears to hear, and a heart open to the revelation of God in our world.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Hard Words

The sixth chapter of the Gospel of John spends a lot of time dealing with bread and eating.  But it isn't till the end of this long chapter that Jesus gets to the meat of the lesson.  Everything is going along fairly smoothly, even if not fully understood. Then Jesus announces that his flesh and blood is the main ingredients of the saving meal. Jesus said, "Those who eat my flesh and drink my blood abide in me, and I in them. Just as the living Father sent me, and I live because of the Father, so whoever eats me will live because of me. This is the bread that came down from heaven, not like that which your ancestors ate, and they died. But the one who eats this bread will live forever."   John 6:56-59 NRSV This is one of the most difficult text to read.  It is disquieting, even gross.  No wonder many of those who were following Jesus at the time walked away. People walked away because they could not see beyond the hard words.  Up to this point, they enjoyed the image

Favorite Bible Stories - Jonah

Sermon excerpts from Sunday, January 25, 2015 Last week I told you there were two topics that people don’t want to hear.  One was evangelism.  We discussed that last week.  This week we are going to look at that other subject – Stewardship.  Or for today message, using your talents as God desires. God came to a man named Jonah and told him to go to Nineveh, a wicked city, and “preach against it because its wickedness has come up before me.” In other words, his assigned task was to proclaim God’s judgment on Nineveh’s sins.   But Jonah  didn't  want to go to Nineveh. Nineveh was the capital of Assyria, the historic enemy of Israel. In the eighth and seventh centuries B.C., the Assyrians plundered Palestine, looted and burned its cities and deported its inhabitants. In 722-721 B.C., it was Assyria that destroyed the Northern Kingdom.   Just like most of us, Jonah had his reasons for not wanting to use his talents as God wanted. We give all kinds of excuses, too poor, too ol

Foolish Things - Excerpts from February 2, 2014 Sermon

Foolish Things: There are some very strange laws on the books concerning churches and here are just a few: young girls are never allowed to walk a tightrope in Wheeler, Mississippi, unless it’s in a church.  In Blackwater, Kentucky, tickling a woman under her chin with a feather duster while she’s in church service carries a penalty of $10.00 and one day in jail.  In Honey Creek, Iowa, no one is permitted to carry a slingshot to church except police.  No citizen in Leecreek, Arkansas, is allowed to attend church in any red-colored garment.  Swinging a yo-yo in church or anywhere in public on the Sabbath is prohibited in Studley, Virginia. And, finally, turtle races are not permitted within 100 yards of a local church at any time in Slaughter, Louisiana. (2) There is a lot of foolishness in the world—and that foolishness includes you and me. That’s right. Paul calls us foolish. He writes in I Corinthians 1: 26-29, “Brothers, think of what you were when you were called. Not