Skip to main content

The Elders Discuss the Ten Commandments

This is a short skit that I wrote in response to the Exodus 19 scripture in which Moses presents the word of the Lord to the Elders.   Please feel free to use as you see fit.  All I ask is that you let me know that you found it useful and give credit to where you got it.  Thanks!


Scene:  Moses has just returned from Mount Sinai with the tablets containing the Ten Commandments.  Moses has met with the elders of the people and they are discussing his report and their response.


(Elders discuss among themselves.  They are mumbling among themselves as the scene opens)

Elder #1: I know we all have concerns, but Moses has been right up to now. God certainly has proved himself and Moses over the past few months. 

Elder #2: An something very strange definitely happened to Moses while he was on the mountain.  I mean he was shining white when he came down.

Elder #3: Shining is an understatement, I got sunburned just from standing too close to him. (wiggles in pain.)

Elder #2: Well who's fault is that.  I mean most of us were moving away from him.  He really was a sight.

Elder #3: I couldn't help it.  It was like I couldn't move. It was the strangest thing.  I wanted to move away but my legs would not respond.

Elder #4: (with excitement) just like a camel in a torchlight!

Elder #3: Yeah, I guess that was it.

Elder #1: Okay, okay, can we get back to the subject at hand, these suggestions?

Elder #5: I thought Moses said they were commandments!

Elder #1: Oh yeah, right, commandments!

Elder #3: (still squirming in pain) Yeah! Can we get this over with, I need more of the salve my wife makes with goats urine for my burn.

Elder #2: (holding his nose at Elder #3) Why don't you stand over there.  (points far off.  The others nod there heads in agreement) 

Elder #1: Now what do we do about these commandments?  Thoughts anyone?

Elder #4: Well, it is only ten and they seem pretty harmless.

Elder #3: (from a distance) Harmless unless you get sunburned from the prophet...

Elder #2: Now we all want to be faithful to the God of our forefathers.

Elder #5: Abraham...

Elder #4: Issac...

Elder #1: Jacob

Elder #2: Yes, those are the ones.  And if it means that we follow these ten commandments, well I think I can sell it to my people.

Elder #5: Yeah, I don't think it will be a hard sell. I mean after all, my people are basically good people who already are living by a good number of these laws.  I mean I don't have any murders or thefts in my group.... At least not that I know of?

Elder #4: That's what I am talking about.  These ten rules are no-brainers.  We can keep them with one hand tied behind our backs.  By the way, did you see my neighbors new ox.  Man what I wouldn't give to have one of them.

Elder #1: So it sounds like we are in agreement.  We will present these ten suggestions...

Elder #5: Commandments!

Elder #1: We will present these ten Commandments to our people and call a congregational meeting to take a vote to accept.  Agreed.

Elder #2: Excuse me, but I hate to be the one to stir up things, but what happens if the people vote no!!!!

Elder #3: (from a distance)  Oh please no!  If Moses has to go back up that mountain for another confab with God.  Well all I can say is I am going to stay home that day. You can all tell me about it at our next meeting.  If we even have a next meeting.

Elder #1: Alright.  We go back to our people and we really sell these Ten Commandments.  They are pretty straight forward and don't sound too hard, so I think it will be easy to sell it.  Each of us is responsible for our own people. So make sure you have everything in line when we come to the congregational vote.  If we get this wrong, the ten might turn into a hundred and then we will be in trouble.  Just remember that!


(the elders nod in agreement and mumble with each other as they exit the stage opposite of the side where Elder #3 has been moved to.  Elder # 3 is the last to exit, a few steps behind the rest, raising his hand in agreement.)

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Hard Words

The sixth chapter of the Gospel of John spends a lot of time dealing with bread and eating.  But it isn't till the end of this long chapter that Jesus gets to the meat of the lesson.  Everything is going along fairly smoothly, even if not fully understood. Then Jesus announces that his flesh and blood is the main ingredients of the saving meal. Jesus said, "Those who eat my flesh and drink my blood abide in me, and I in them. Just as the living Father sent me, and I live because of the Father, so whoever eats me will live because of me. This is the bread that came down from heaven, not like that which your ancestors ate, and they died. But the one who eats this bread will live forever."   John 6:56-59 NRSV This is one of the most difficult text to read.  It is disquieting, even gross.  No wonder many of those who were following Jesus at the time walked away. People walked away because they could not see beyond the hard words.  Up to this point, they enjoyed the image

Favorite Bible Stories - Jonah

Sermon excerpts from Sunday, January 25, 2015 Last week I told you there were two topics that people don’t want to hear.  One was evangelism.  We discussed that last week.  This week we are going to look at that other subject – Stewardship.  Or for today message, using your talents as God desires. God came to a man named Jonah and told him to go to Nineveh, a wicked city, and “preach against it because its wickedness has come up before me.” In other words, his assigned task was to proclaim God’s judgment on Nineveh’s sins.   But Jonah  didn't  want to go to Nineveh. Nineveh was the capital of Assyria, the historic enemy of Israel. In the eighth and seventh centuries B.C., the Assyrians plundered Palestine, looted and burned its cities and deported its inhabitants. In 722-721 B.C., it was Assyria that destroyed the Northern Kingdom.   Just like most of us, Jonah had his reasons for not wanting to use his talents as God wanted. We give all kinds of excuses, too poor, too ol

Foolish Things - Excerpts from February 2, 2014 Sermon

Foolish Things: There are some very strange laws on the books concerning churches and here are just a few: young girls are never allowed to walk a tightrope in Wheeler, Mississippi, unless it’s in a church.  In Blackwater, Kentucky, tickling a woman under her chin with a feather duster while she’s in church service carries a penalty of $10.00 and one day in jail.  In Honey Creek, Iowa, no one is permitted to carry a slingshot to church except police.  No citizen in Leecreek, Arkansas, is allowed to attend church in any red-colored garment.  Swinging a yo-yo in church or anywhere in public on the Sabbath is prohibited in Studley, Virginia. And, finally, turtle races are not permitted within 100 yards of a local church at any time in Slaughter, Louisiana. (2) There is a lot of foolishness in the world—and that foolishness includes you and me. That’s right. Paul calls us foolish. He writes in I Corinthians 1: 26-29, “Brothers, think of what you were when you were called. Not